Monday, March 30, 2015

Sitting on the white couch, Harper is lovingly taking care of her curly haired baby, creatively named - Curly. She looks and me and asks if Bennett was in daddy's tummy, because I got to have her in my tummy. Hmmmm.... I remind myself to respond with short answers - the best strategy to see what they already know, and to find out what they actually want to know.

"No." I say.
"Well, who was in daddy's tummy?"
"No one."
"So, daddies don't get to have babies in their tummies?"
"No, just mommies."
"Oh. So, what - actually - do the daddies do?"

Careful. Careful. At this point, andy entered the conversation with a raised eyebrow over the head of our sweet daughter.

"Ummm... They help. They help the mommy when the baby comes." I am pretty proud of my response, and look to the girl to see if it's acceptable.

"THAT'S IT?!?!?!?!?"

Well no, not exactly. But, we will save the rest of this conversation for later.

No comments:

Counter