The table required some stripping, and we used some sort of goo for that process. It was a huge mess, and honestly, I was too scared to scrape away at my beloved table. We sanded the table a few times, and took the cushions off the chairs. A few of the chairs needed some repair, and we used wood putty to fill holes and cracks. We used 60 & 100 grade sand paper. (I should make a list of everything I learned this summer...) After sanding, the furniture was wiped down with a damp cloth, and we put on a coat or two of primer.
Aside note: A 4 inch roller may be the best invention ever.
A cool grey paint color was our selection.
The chairs were recovered with a bright red pattern (Thanks, Rudy!! I'll take my wine back now.)
I could not wait to get this table into our kitchen. It took all my strength to let it sit in the garage for a few days and rest. But, in the end, so worth it.