Friday, May 18, 2012

Tree Planting 2012

There are events in life that are difficult to describe.  It's like when you take the trip of a life time, and then try to share the excitement and energy of the experience with someone who has never been to the destination of your journey.  The weekend of April 22 was an event like that - as the Safar Family planted 6,600 trees on the farm.
 I have so many memories of that land, house, buildings and people who filled each.  I remember picking raspberries with Grandma Safar, and her teaching me the patience to not get scratched from the sharp prickles.  I recall sitting on the front cement step, feeling so proud after learning how to tie my shoes.  There is the scent of gun smoke, as I think about the only shot I ever fired, with Uncle Dave catching me as I fell back.   The wind against my face as the same Uncle drove me over the back hills on his motorcycle.  There is the smell of cattle, and the memory of when I learned about what they actually did with the animals.  

I remember the fresh cookies, the toys in the toy box, the duck calls hanging on hooks, running up the steep stairs with my cousins, fried fish, and heavy cream.  But, mostly, I remember the hugs.  The arms wrapped around you so tight, you couldn't move, even if you wanted to hugs.


 We planted 4,000 pine trees and 1,000 oak trees, using the tractor and planter.




 AP spent most of the weekend in the planter, hunched over on his knees,  dropping seedlings down the shoot.  Dad was in the tractor, creating the stick-straight rows.  I "planted" one row, after much coaxing and coaching (Which, really, just ended up being more work for Uncle Bud and Aunt Dorothy's shovel.).



 Then, there was the hand planting crew, who dug and stuck 500 chokecherry, 500 wild plum and 600 mixed berry and fruit trees.



 So grateful that the whole family was there to share in this event, even Bennett braved the rain and mud to plant a few of his very own trees. 


 And, of course, he would never pass up the opportunity drive the tractor with Grampy.
My childhood memories of Grandma Safar and her farm are held close.  And, now as an adult, I have even more. Thank you for everyone who helped plant.  It was much more than trees in the ground - it was kinda like an arms wrapped around you so tight, you couldn't move, even if you wanted to hug.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh damn you:) Why did I decide to read this in a very busy barber shop? Its a weird feeling when everyone is looking at a grown man crying while looking at his phone. Beautiful pics and beautiful narrative. Hi to you, your cyber kids, and hard working tree planting husband.
Love you and these moments/memories,
Cousin Jack Heisler

Counter