Wednesday, October 3, 2018

The other day, I was talking to Bennett and he told me that his day was close to ruined because he almost didn't get to go into school using the right door.  (Yep, you read that correctly.)  Upon further investigation, I found out that the Boy enters school via the same door every. single. day.  If "his" door is in use by another person, he will wait until the path is clear, then enter the building.  There are four possible door options, but Bennett only will use one.  As we talked, it became clear that this door is VERY important to Bennett, as he was appalled by even the thought of using a different door. 

I thought a lot about this, talked to a few expert friends, did a bit of google researching...

Two days later, I pulled into the school parking lot, and someone was parked in "my" space.  I was furious.  I mean, everyone knows it's my space - I park there every. single. day.  I actually considered finding out who's vehicle it belonged to, so I could get my space back before the students arrived. I mean, there were 74 other spaces for me to choose from, but the thought of parking somewhere else was ridiculous. I  was mad and uncomfortable, and I can say it kinda ruined my morning.

Hmmmm....  (guess Bennett is more like his mama than we thought...  You're right, T.)

The Boy and I had the best conversation about this - both feeling like this was something we could understand about each other.   Lots of times it's difficult for Bennett to understand my "wavy" perspective and likewise I struggle to drive his "stick straight" path - but this?  We get this.  We made a promise for the very next day.  If I had to do it, so did he.  And, we had to prove it.


No comments:

Counter