Friday, January 20, 2017

I didn't blog about election day 2016.  I know. I thought about it, and I tried, I even tried more than once. But, I just couldn't do it.  November 8, I had the best blog post already written in my head.  It was eloquent and witty and monumental... all about this herstorical day, when I wore my (ill fitting) pantsuit, and brought my family to vote for the first woman president in the history of our country.  November 9 happened, and my words were lost.  My hope crushed and fear built - all the while in a haze of uncertainty and yes, mourning.

Fast forward to today.  (Because there will never be any words for that day...)  This evening, I watched with tears, as President Obama gave his farewell address to our country.  He asked us to embrace all, not just some, be activists in our communities and run for office.  And, he told us that he was hopeful.  He was hopeful because of our children.  Good, kind, just, young leaders who know that we all can be a part of something incredible.  They are growing up to know that love is love, and while it may be difficult at times, we must all rise up.

We may have a bumpy road ahead, my friends.  But, we will march that high road, wearing our cat hat.  We will rise up, because this is not a moment, it's a movement.

(Seriously, what did we ever do before Hamilton? #lyricalgenius)





No comments:

Counter