Thursday, February 7, 2019

Pike came to live with us July, 2000.  He was rescued from the Pike's Peak Humane Society, and immediately, Andy was his favorite.  Pike loved to climb the Christmas trees, hide anywhere he could squeeze his long whiskers, and stretch out in the sun.  I remember one night, there was a terrible thunderstorm.  Pike was nowhere to be found, and the garage door had been left ajar.  I was certain Pike had dashed for the outdoors, as he often did when given the chance.  Andy and I scoured the neighborhood, calling for our beloved cat.  Dripping wet, from the rain and the tears pouring down my face, we returned home, certain he was gone forever.    As I sat and cried, that black cat came slinking out from under the chair in which I sat.  He looked at me like "What.  I was napping." and sauntered over to his food dish.

When Dolson arrived in late 2001, Pike was not impressed with this fat, drooling cat.  But, soon they because quite close.  The two spent their days napping at the foot of the bed, or curled up on the end couch cushion, and their nights racing each other up and down the stairs.  While Pike tolerated Dolson in the beginning, I know he also loved his best friend the most, in the end.

Pike left us on February 7, 2019.  
Rest easy, my beloved Black Unicorn.  Thank you for sharing 19 years with us.

 

No comments:

Counter