Saturday, January 26, 2019

The weekend through the eyes of the Gnome was pure determination.  This little girl was fierce - however she did not know it when we first stepped out of the chalet.  Upon arriving at the base of the hill, Harper was NOT going on the chair lift.  She made it very clear, through her tears streaming down her face, and yelling at me in between sobs, that there was not a chance of her getting on it.

 It was a difficult parenting moment, because I knew she was terrified (I was, too!).  But, I also knew she could do it.  So... Do I let her just watch?  Do I try to convince her it will be ok, and she shouldn't be scared?  Do I bribe her with something?  Do I snuggle her up and tell her that I trust her to decide?  Nope.  For the first time ever, I forced her into getting on that chair lift.  Not physically, of course - I just said, "Harper.  We are doing this.  Right now.  Let's go.  You can do it, I know you don't know it yet, but You. Can. Do. This."

And, did she ever.  
Day 1 on the slopes Harper Nicole was zipping down the green hills, detouring through a few trees.  She was flying past her mama (which really doesn't say too much...) and patiently waiting for me to catch up.  She had a smile in her eyes, and behind her face mask, too.  Day 2, Harps was riding the chairlift with Bennett, and mastering bigger hills with T.  She had little time for rest or snacks.  

And while I am quite certain that I will never live down the, "I can't believe you FORCED me to go on the chairlift, MAMA!!!"  I do know that we will be back, and she will conquer those hills again and again and again.


No comments:

Counter