Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Big K

I must preface with this - I hate it - when moms and dads say things like, "I can't believe my baby is starting kindergarten. wah wah wah."  I HATE IT even more, when moms cry and the bus stop, and linger with tears in their eyes, as their child climbs the steep stairs of the big yellow bus, with their new backpack strapped over their shoulders.

On Bennett's first day of K, I vowed to not be that mom.  Kids go to school every day!  I teach those kids, and I knew that Bennett would LOVE school.  I knew he would be safe, and I knew he would make friends, and learn an absorbent amount.  I also knew that I wanted to wave to him on the bus, so I was excited that B's first day, was my Open House.



 Andy and I dropped the kids off at Kelli's.  Later, we went back to meet Bennett, and wait for the bus' arrival.  Bennett met his first friend, Jay, at this bus stop.  Jay is also in Ms. Blomgren's class.  (I curiously wondered why this caused me a sigh of relief...)



 I wasn't able to be home that night, and hear all about his first day.  I had so many questions, and wanted to hear every detail.  As my work day came to a close that evening, I realized that I felt like I missed out on something big.  I kinda wanted to make cookies for the kid, and pour him a glass milk, as he told me all about school. 

Bennett did leave me a note, and let me know that "kindergarten is better than Disney World".

 I can not believe my baby is in kindergarten.  I seems like yesterday, I was cradling that 4lb bundle.  That morning, I was grateful for the aviators, which protected my eyes from the bright sun,  and hid my huge, alligator, tears.


No comments:

Counter