Sunday, September 2, 2012

Grandma's Recipe

Due to a broken arm and a second back surgery the Prose Family missed out on Pickle Fest at Aunt Marge's house.  This was rather traumatic, because Aunt Dorothy promised to teach us how to make her infamous homemade bread, buns and Grandma Safar's cinnamon rolls.  I was disappointed, but had to take care of the patients. 

Fortunately, my dad is a great listener, and quick study.  He learned from the expert, and then agreed to spend our last weekend at the lake, teaching me the craft of bread making.

Following the recipe, we gathered the ingredients.  I had to ask the grocery guy where to find "lard".  Who knew it was in the refrigerator section?  

 We mixed, and then let it sit.  The unfortunate thing about bread making, is that it can be a long day of kneading and rising, and kneading again.  The fortunate thing is that these necessary breaks are perfect for bloody marys. 


 Keeping in mind who I was working with, there wasn't much of an opportunity for me to do anything, so I was sure to get a few pictures snapped before someone took over.




 We made big loaves of bread and little loaves.  We made a few dozen buns and carmel rolls (with and without nuts). 





 I'm hoping we started a family tradition, because I think Grandma Safar would be proud.  Thanks, Dad.






No comments:

Counter