Monday, September 3, 2018

'Twas the night before school started and all through the house, a few stomachs were knotted with so much anticipation, there was not enough pepto to buy...  This picture says it all - the boys are quite leary of what the year will bring, and the girls are all certain it will be just fine.  It's sometimes a challenge to live with such different thinking mindsets, and trying to understand how straight an arrow can be.  I'm quite sure the frustration goes both ways, as the disaster planners try to plan with people who see no disaster insight.   But, we manage, and pretty successfully most days.  I hope we learn from each other, too.  
We went out for our traditional early bird last supper of summer at the local taco joint.  Bennett and Andy talked about everything summer - checking of the items we crossed off our bucket list.  H and I chatted everything about school - planning the route to her classroom, and how she would organize her locker and desk.  I stole a couple smiles from across the table, and whispered the mantra "You know I'm right, school is gonna be so awesome!" Later that night, there were tears from the boy.  He's nervous.  He's anxious.  He knows it will be fine.  Change is hard.   Later that night, there were tears from the girl.  She's a little nervous.  She wants to make new friends.  She knows she will, but there are still some butterflies dancing around.  Later that night, there were some tears from me.  Thinking as I tucked those littles into bed, they are not so little anymore - and I must be the luckiest mama on earth to get to wipe their tears, and squeeze their hands, and tell them "I told you so" in 24 hours.

No comments:

Counter