Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A visit from the vortex


Going on day six at home with the ninja and the gnome. First, it was the flu bug (x2), then the Polar Vortex decided to pay us another visit. Dangerously low temperatures and nasty blowing winds has kept us homebound. Usually, I would have no problem with this, as home is pretty much my favorite place ever. But, this combination of flu, working working partner, and the vortex has begun to wear me down. And today, I began to nag.

Clean your room. 
Did you brush your teeth? Do you need a reminder every day?
Just go and play. Anything. Downstairs.
Stop being so contrary. 
Do you need a nap?
Do you think I fold your clothes for fun? This one even made me cringe, so I took a breath and walked away. I knew I had had enough, and those little people did, too.
When I walked back upstairs, sweet, sweet Bennett was reading to Harper. He looked at me and said, "Just doing my reading, mom. Harper is turning the pages for me."

Talk about a reality check from the seven year old.  Sometimes I need to be reminded not to spend so much time being concerned about raising good kids, that I forget I already have them. Thanks, little dude.

No comments:

Counter